Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Refuse Medical Care?

If I am a patient, not a new patient, an existing patient. Can my doctor refuse to refill my presciptions? This is all stemming from a bill that my insurance has taken FOREVER to pay. But they are late and payment is coming according to them. However this doctor's office just sent me the meanest note. They will do the above mentioned and cancel any scheduled appointments, and refuse to discuss any problems. I am a customer and I don't think this is very good customer service. Am I wrong?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! That really blows. Can you pay the bill and then let the MD office reimburse you when the insurance company pays? I think that I would call and talk to your doctor himself. Even if his office has no code of ethics, hopefully the doctor would have one.
Unfortunately, family practice is not the same as a hospital (who really need the customers). They are usually so overwhelmed with patients that they make rules such as the one you have encountered.
Hope everything works out!

Shawna said...

I would do what Lori mentioned. Hope you get it all straightened out.

Evelyn said...

And one more thing...shouldn't the doctors office be dealing with the insurance company, not you, if they are waiting for their money? What do they think you can do about it?

Evelyn said...

I think my first note went missing, so I will try again:

You are right...as a customer/patient, you shouldn't be treated so rudely. I would consider finding a new doctor. And then I would probably write a nasty note back!

The Iowa Ross Family said...

Yes, I actually concur with Evelyn, I just can't bring myself to go back to that office. The care I got was fine, but I don't want to deal with those office people. Oh, I had to file the claim because it was with our presciption insurance, and they don't handle that insurance. yikes!